Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin & my hometown


McCain's presidential running mate Sarah Palin "packed a punch" at her convention speech -- and mentioned my hometown of Lancaster, Ohio! I had no idea that a Lancaster area resident -- former Air Force fighter pilot Tom Moe -- was a fellow prisoner of war with McCain at the Hanoi Hilton for five years! Yet there he was an Ohio delgate, standing up and being acknowledged by Palin. Moe has never been in politics before, but was convinced by another Ohio POW to come out campaigning for his former Hilton "neighbor", John McCain.
Let me now add this comment of pride to my column on Huffington Post, which reported on Lancaster being left behind in this new era of technology. Lancaster is a former factory town, home to the largest glass manufacturer in the world, Anchor Hocking, but has faced hard times making a transition in the new economy.
Speaking of new economy, I was glad to see Palin emphasizing entrepreneurship, innovation and job creation in her speech.