Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Valley @ Hong Kong



I am so happy to be in Hong Kong now, after a long tiring week in Taipei, topped off by a brief book stop in Manila. Today, I gave a lecture at the Hong Kong Science & Technology University in outward Kowloon far from MTR. Anyhow, the view (see photo) more than made up for the distance traveled. Bay Area of San Francisco, "eat your heart out." HKUST has the most "drop dead" beautiful view of any place I've been in Hong Kong, outside the Peak.
The students' enthusiasm for all topics entrepreneurial was encouraging. Is there hope that Hong Kong can find its way in this China tech boom? Certainly, the government-operated and well-intentioned Cyberport isn't the answer (though maybe it should be). And maybe the university is the Silicon Valley solution for Hong Kong--as the school offers a unique dual degree in technology and management
Professor Shum is a first-rate teacher who invited me to speak here. He teaches entrepreneurship--not an easy thing to do. Ask Guy Kawasaki. Anyhow, the "Professor" won my heart for having read my book and recommended it to his students as case studies for bootstrapping entrepreneurial lessons. The students seemed to like my talk and my book (see photo).
My voice almost did give out about midway through the lecture--thanks to a combo of air pollution, air conditioning, no C, and too many speeches in five days.
All in a week's book tour.
Next the Asian Private Equity and Venture Capital Forum. Check it out & see you there (Shangri-La Hotel, Wed-Fri).