Thursday, August 7, 2008

Vancouver Talks about Beijing


The Vancouver Board of Trade and the Hong Kong Canadian Business Association hosted a Silicon Dragon talk as part of their Distinguished Author Series.
See this newspaper article about the event: http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/money/story.html?id=87932eca-74b6-4d98-9704-e1dbfafb4dac
And check out the classic clothes I'm wearing. Courtesy for that goes to the Marriott, where the event was held. When I showed up at the hotel for the event minus my luggage, the Marriott staff promptly arranged a new wardrobe for me to wear at the occasion. Otherwise, people would have been treated to seeing me in my best jogging outfit -- not a treat.
Now that's service!
We had about 100 people at the event, including fellow authors, journalists, leading business execs, students and academics. The Canadian bookseller Chapters was there for the book signing. I was very impressed with the pro-active leadership of the Vancouver Board of Trade. Check out my photo with the director, Darcy Rezac.
Later, the Four Seasons Vancouver hotel hosted me for a dinner at their wonderful new restaurant, Yew. Their Moroccan waiter arranged for lots of special tastings, including a wonderful Pinot Noir from British Columbia, a delicious sampling of pastas, and two great seafood entrees.
Air Canada was great to keep me informed on news of the missing-in-action luggage.
It did show up just about dinner-time.
Yes, Vancouver may very well be the world's most livable city.
Off to Seattle today for a cocktail reception and book reception with the Washington State China Relations Council. Next Beijing!